Monday 8 April 2013

Nude v Naked

Without running a life drawing class I don't suppose I’d have thought about this one, but certainly there is a dividing line between those who do draw….. and those who don’t….  those who are troubled, giggle or shocked and those who don't get the fuss.
I only start to feel uncomfortable when I’m presented with nakedness, as opposed to nudity. And I've just been sent a life drawing model website that sort of falls into this uncomfortably.  Even though well-intentioned it just didn’t seemed to get what life drawing is all about.
I'm not going to give a definition here and make it easy because I want you to think instead. Don't look for clues e.g. one is sexy and the other isn’t, because that doesn’t really help. But one certainly isn't about sex; instead it’s about enjoying the challenge of presenting the human form in all its shapes and sizes, all its energy, movement and stillness. Of course that can be sexy, or just emotionally touching. Like those recent series of ads that were trying to be very PC, but were also quite appealing.
What is clear to me is that nakedness does have the power to shock and/or make you feel uncomfortable, whereas nudity shouldn’t. One is natural, simple and straightforward the other is about a power and control.

No comments:

Post a Comment